Wednesday, August 21, 2013

GeR LiFe! 8/22/13



I have been in my Ger for four days now. Ger life is HARD. I feel like I am constantly keeping the rugs clean, I wash dishes with very little water and soap in my dry sink (which will only drip when I turn the water on) and at night when it gets chilly I am on top of the fire like white on rice. There is also a daddy long-leg problem. For those of you who know me well, I have a bit of an arachnophobia so this was obviously disconcerting for the first few days. Thankfully, Peace Corps gives us a mosquito net that I have placed around my bed. Through trial and error, I learned that if you tuck in the sides of your mosquito net under your bed cushion, spiders will not get into your net and you can sleep sans spiders. I also have a system that friends in my Ger have to follow. See spider, smash with book, and place with tongs in fireplace. If you managed to catch them alive and are able to put them in the fire, they crackle and sometimes explode.  It has become a bit of a game, and keeps me from freaking out whenever I see one.  I can happily report, that despite how hard it is to live in a Ger I am acculturating quite well and look forward to my years here. Next item on my list is how to cut wood before the winter comes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment