Thursday, August 15, 2013

8/11/13 Last night oN ThE HomEFroNt!



As I contemplate my placement tomorrow I am getting incredibly excited! I feel like just two short weeks ago I was sitting in my chair enthralled by the beautiful geography that every region in Mongolia has to offer. Northern Mongolia, which is where we are at , is trickled with dense forest meadows full of flowers and the famous Mongolian steppe. In living here, I have been able to enjoy the rich landscape teaming with wildlife, and the hills and mountains that are visible in every direction. Center and Easter Mongolia is composed of fractions of the Gobi Dessert, as well as the Hentii and Hangai Mountain ranges. Eastern Mongolia also has grass steppe and the largest herds of gazelle left on earth.  Southern Mongolia is home to the Gobi dessert. Cliffs valley’s and rolling hills dominate this part of Mongolia. Herds of animals raised by nomads are sustained by the plant life that trickles this region.  This region also sustains animals that are on the brink of extinction, like the Gobi Brown bear, the Mazalai, black talk antelope and the Havtgai (a wild Bactrian camel).  Western Mongolia offers the Altai Mountains (at 14,000 feet), as well as lakes ancient stone monuments, rivers, larch forests and valleys with wildfires. The most famous lake in Mongolia is located in the Northwestern part of the country. The Khuvsgal Lake is not only a crystal clear lagoon surrounded by ancient forests but it is drinkable water.  This area also offers snow covered mountain ranges for your viewing pleasure. 
In Mongolia, the ethnic groups are also an array of ethnic groups.  Consisting of 77 percent of the population, the Khalkh (originating from Halhavch, bambai, which means shield) ethnic group lives in center Mongolia and had an important role during the creation of the Mongolian empire. It should also be noted that these are considered the “Pure Mongolians” and are said to be directly related to Chinngis Khan. One of the largest ethnic groups in Mongolia, the Kazakh practice Islamic.  The live in the BayanUlgii and Khovd regions and continue to celebrate their religion and traditions.  The Durvud spread out in Khovd, UVS and Bayan-Ulgii (near the Kazakh region).  The Bayad live in Uvs and are famous for traditional dance and literature.  The Buriad live in Khentii, DOrnod and Selenge aimages (northern Mongolia) but they originate from Russia. They cultivate hay and plant nogoon (vegetables) and jimmie mot (fruit trees), and live mainly in apartments and houses. The Uzemchin which live In Sukhbaatar and Dornod aimages (Northern Mongolia) come from ancesters’ that came from a land that harvested raisins.; there name comes from “uzem” (raisins). The Darigana are also located in Sukbataar aimaigs. They make traditional Mongolian trinkets such as snuff boxes, horse tact and silver bowls.  The Zakhchin group live in the Khovd aimag. Zakh meaning “border”, they were a military tribe who protected to borders from foreign enemies.  The Tsaatain/Dukha tribes live in the Khuvsgul aimag. The small group of about 23 families, maintains their traditional culture by continuing to live in Tepees, hunting, and utilizing reindeer for everyday activities (including riding them: take that Santa and his plush sleigh). Before the governmental reform this ethnic group was isolated from Mongolian society, and since, has not received governmental aid  to help replenish reindeer population from Serbia.  As of current, a small independent program is looking into artificial insemination to keep this population of reindeer going. If nothing is done, this ethnic group will be forced to give up their traditional lifestyle. It must also be noted that this tribe practices shamanism and most of their income comes from tourist who ride their reindeer and buy their trinkets.  Khoton’s are thrive in song and dance. They live in UVS and share a similarity with Turkish people.
As I sat through this particular class, I cannot tell you how much I was looking forward to going out on my own, into Mongolia. Now, the night before I leave, I find myself looking around my room and feeling nostalgic. What once seemed like a huge dresser piled high with books and my backpack, and filled with all of my clothes appears tiny and is vacant.  My room seems to empty without my water filter and shoes. It was a great night filled with a lot of laughs and I am glad I am going out on a positive note with my enormous family!  Until tomorrow night, I won’t know where I am going but, I can say that looking back over the past two and a half months that it has been an incredible ride and I have made some amazing friends. I have no preference on where I go, only that I don’t stick around this northern area because there is so much more of Mongolia to explore. Variety is the spice of life, and I am itchin for some adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment