Wednesday, August 21, 2013

ApPliAncEs and LOW ExPeCtAtIons.



In the Peace Corps, especially when it comes to living quarters, one learned to have low expectations. I came into my living situation assuming I would have nothing, no appliances what-so-ever, so you can imagine my excitement when I realized I have a stove and a fridge!
 
My fridge: I am lucky to have a brand new fridge. It has a freezer and fridge and unlike some of the fridges I have used, I am actually able to keep my drinks and foods cold. It is exciting and the best present I could have.

My stove: My stove works. It appears to be from the soviet era and doesn’t open all the way because the door itself and the door you keep pans in, is broken. It STILL WORKS however and I just think of it as added character.  Two of the stove knobs are broken off, and I am hopeful I can change the temperature of the oven and use the third burner if I purchase some pliers.  When I utilize my stove, nothing else can be on because it blows the fuse box and I will have to flip the switch every 20 seconds. The light situation can be rectified with candles or a solar lamp perhaps. Lastly, I can only really use the oven or the stovetop, and even when just the oven is on alone, it can blow the fuse. Only in Mongolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment