Thursday, September 5, 2013

SepTEmBEr 5, 2013 ConNeCtioNs, A SigNifICant NecEssiTy oF PC LiFe!



Today was a busy day and at the end of it, I was feeling overwhelmed and my finger was throbbing from all the awkward movement. In the morning, I had a meeting with a communications officer with a developmental agency (unnamed for privacy purposes) here in UB. I have never been so excited to meet someone and pick their brain in regards to Mongolian views of Developmental disabilities. This particular agency seems to have a plethora of useful programs they are trying to or have started for children with developmental and physical disabilities (or intellectual disabilities as they call it here).  In Mongolia, families tend to not go out with their children with disabilities because there is a stigma of “bad spirits” attached to it.  SO, often time’s parents keep their children at home, away from social activities and out of schools. This is something that her organization is working to change.  Changes within the country do not often happen quickly so raising awareness about disabilities is the first step.  It should also be noted that as of current Mongolians do not diagnose disabilities.
She was also able to tell me a little about the prison system which I am very interested in; as well as programs that are running within the prison system.  One of her past students, barely 18 is currently serving a three year term for stealing a cell phone. When he was caught, the individuals he stole it from did not press charges but he was punished, in my mind severely, for a first time offender.
As of current, there are two programs that are running in the prison system. One is a women’s group that creates crafts to sell with incarcerated women. The proceeds go to the women. In the men’s prison, there are education programs so the inmates have skills when they are released. However, there does not, at this time appear to be any rehabilitation program that occurs after an inmate is released. 
I have heard that the conditions of prisons are difficult. If an individual has money, they are able to go to a private prison where they are treated well.  For inmates who are poor, which is a significant amount of people here in Mongolia, they reside in government prisons. In these prisons life is much harder. I have heard of inmates having to dig their own holes to use as bathrooms, they are only given rice to eat, and they are not able to stand fully in their cells.  I have also heard of inmates being exploited for money and mistreated if they don’t pay if a foreigner comes to visit; because they are assumed to have wealthy ties.  
After my meeting, I was flying high. I am so excited to start working with people on projects In Mongolia. When I signed up, I just knew I wanted a life change and I wanted to make a change in the lives of others. People often ask the question, why Mongolia? Why were you placed here, and why would you want to go for two years? The meeting I had today, and the meeting that occurred Monday is exactly why I am here. America is so developed in these areas, and through people like Peace Corps volunteers, a change can be made in the areas of the world that need it. This week has definitely been an extremely exciting time for me, and I am looking forward to starting my work full steam ahead.
After my super amazing meeting, I had my MRI. I won’t find out results till tomorrow and then I assume that Washington will need to be involved with an Thailand related decisions. Until then, I will continue to enjoy UB and pray pray pray that I will get to take a trip to PCV’s treasured country. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment