Thursday, September 5, 2013

SePTeMBer 2, 2013 FirSt Day OF ScHoOL!



 The first day of school was interesting. I didn’t really have a schedule so I kind of made my own schedule. The first couple hours of school, my counterpart took me to the police station and government center to register. It was a lot of him talking and me smiling. I was then taken to a meeting at the developmental center, where I would have gone in but it was indicated that I should wait in the hallway.  After, I was told to go back to the room. When I got back, rather than sit there, I started to observe classes. It was interested to see the teacher sitting at their desks reading while the students write in complete silence (again leftover Soviet techniques). One class was awesome however. The teacher had each student stand, say their names and their ages to their classmates. The students would then repeat the name of the student. Not all classes had enough seats or desks for the students so some shared.
When my supervisor got back we communicated through my dictionary. It was clear that he is very interested in doing projects with me and seems to want to start on these endeavors early. I am very open to that as well. I told him I would get the life-skills books so we could utilize them. 
At lunch-time, after a delicious meal with the crew at Fairfields, I was able to meet with the agency FLOM, a Finnish organization that has programs with adults and children with developmental disabilities. We talked to the director who seemed open to us starting new programs within the organization. Since they have limited funding, they seem to really appreciate volunteers. I will be interested to see how I can collaborate with this contact!

No comments:

Post a Comment