Thursday, September 5, 2013

SepTeMbEr 1, 2013 OpEnING CeReMonY!


   Remember when you were a child and the long summer days were ending and a new school year was upon you? You had to get the cool backback and the best notebooks and folders. You had to go clothes shopping and be up on the newest styles. The day would arrive when school started and you would get that knot in your stomach and hop on the bus or drive to school, get your class schedule and immediately start in. Well, in Mongolia it seems to be very similar except for one small factor. School starts on a Sunday...kind of. While there are no classes, schools take pride in their opening ceremonies. Teachers are introduced, many other things are said, (it's all in Mongolian of course)sometimes important pillars in the community speak and children show off their talents. There is a lot of pride that takes place in these ceremonies and it was an awesome experience.     
     Today I was at school at 8 a.m for the school opening ceremony. I was greeted by my Social Working counterpart Togtohoo who again speaks very little English but seems very pleasant.  After many minutes of plastering a smile on my face and aimlessly walking around greeting parents and children alike I was told by an English teacher that I would be giving a speech, of course, in MONGOLIAN.  I retreated back to my office and quickly reappeared with my handy dandy notebook so I could utilize her English to Mongolian translation so I didn’t make an idiot of myself in front of the school! It was a chilly windy Autumn-esque day and I was happy I wore long sleeves under my knit dress and leggings with my new fur line boots. Of course, ceremony took place outside and I still found myself freezing. When I noticed other teachers begin to disappear inside the building, I followed suit and watched through the windows. There were a few student performances; a couple singers, a couple students playing instruments. It was for lack of better words “cute”. I was then informed I would not need to give a speech because the microphone was not working properly. Winning!  After, students proceeded into the gym where the president was airing a lesson. It was a strange sight to see indeed. Students all over the country participated in this activity during opening ceremony at their school.  When it was evident this activity would be going on for an unknown amount of time I retreated to the office I shared with the Social Worker. He informed me there that I would be giving an interview for the news. I’m pretty sure I mumbled ok and managed to smile. I then called in the task force texting a M-23 about what I should cover in my interview.  

                    The interview:
   During the interview I stood in front of the camera and as instructed introduced myself in Mongolia and stated what I was doing in the school system. I was the only one on screen, and found it rather awkward that the reporter asking me questions was not in picture with me, nor was the translator. I was asked again what I was doing in the school system and I informed them again that I was a Peace Corps Volunteer working with the social worker. They also asked twice if I had ever worked in another country, what experience I had in the United States, and why I had chosen Mongolia. I found the interview rather difficult only because I felt like some of the information did not translate. For instance; behavior interventions for children with developmental disabilities is a hard concept for Mongolians to wrap their heads around! At the end of the day I can only hope I was able to communicate my intentions to the best of my abilities and I that I didn’t come off as an idiot through the translator!
   When things were beginning to die down, I said goodbye to my counterpart and went to see Brittany. Since she lives behind my school, I thought it would be a perfect time to show it to her. As we walked in, my counterpart ushered me to the Directors office. You know that oh crap, I am in trouble because I have a meeting with the director feeling?  Well, in Mongolia, you could be called in, especially if you are an English speaker, to the director’s office just to talk. This was one of those instances. I was given arrik (don’t know how to spell it, but it is Mar’s milk, and it is a bit alcoholic), and chiccar (candy). It was a nice, but slightly awkward moment, especially since I am not fond of the drink and did not drink all of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment