Tuesday, October 1, 2013

NigHt CraWlErS AnD HaLlOwEeN TiDbIts!

Things at school have been pretty busy. As of current, School 1 has been practicing for the 90th ceremony, pretty much all week, as well as Sunday too. I was asked to dance for the ceremony after auditioning my Mongolian dance. 
Saturday was pretty amusing. My site mates and I got together and were planning on camping but the weather did not permit. Pouring rain froze into a beautiful snow that covered much the ground and the surrounding mountains. It was absolutely breath-taking! The site-mates and I, instead of camping spent the night in my Ger. We built a nice fire, made some mac with cheese and stir fry. We built a fort (something I haven't done since my Elementary years) and we settled in for the night with a good movie (The Great Gatsby). We also decided (after a couple drinks) it would be a good time to try out a new game. Night-Crawlers. While they discuss it in various episodes of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia". the lack of description leaves it open for interpretation. In our version, we decided we could get in our sleeping bags, cover our heads, and blindly crawl and leap all over each other. It was rather amusing, and hysterical. We have decided that Night-Crawlers 2.0 will consist of blind relay races in our sleeping bags. The things you do in Peace Corps!
Nightcrawlers!
Sometimes Will get's creepy with my camera!

 


     Sunday Brittany and I attempted to make a shelf for my closet and decorate my Ger. It was fantastic and while the shelf is lasting, the shelf we built precariously on the shelf to hold my toiletries, fell down last night. Fail. I was also called into school to practice my dance, after Brittany, Will and I made spaghetti with cheesy sauce and watched the new Zombie movie with Brad Pitt, who to me, never seems to age. Such a yummy man!
Monday was uneventful. Brittany and I are working on Halloween projects and have been told that another Social worker is interested in participating in the event. In my research for this Halloween project, I discovered that Halloween was started approximately 2,000 years ago by the Celtics.
Samhain (pronounced sow-in) was their New Year.  They believed that on the night of October 31st, the lines between the living and dead became blurred and spirits and ghosts alike could walk in the land of the living. This was also a time when Harvest was concluded, the summer was ending and the days would become darker and colder (aka winter). Through their Druids (Celtic Priests) it was believed the future could be told. During the festival, Druids built huge bonfires and burned crops and sacrificed animals all in the name of the Celtic Deities. Celtics wore costumes consisting of animal heads and skins and told each others fortunes. Upon the commencement of the celebration, the Celtics re-lite their hearth fires (which were extinguished at the start of the ceremony) by using the sacred bonfire. This was thought to protect them from winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment