Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My ConTrIbUtIoN to ThE 90th

My school was exceptionally busy last week. Everyday of the week they were rehearsing and decorating for the 90th anniversary. Not only was the school founded in 1923, but apparently, so was Tsetserleg.  In training we are told that we will probably be called to go do things and go places in a moments notice. My Monday, of last week started with a texts at around 5:30 telling me to come to school to practice my dance. As I was wearing a dress and stiletto boots, I declined stating that I had nothing to wear. Knowing that I would probably be practicing Tuesday and Wednesday, I planned ahead. Wednesday we went to the theatre. It is located in this pepto bismol pink building and it is fairly attractive inside with red velvet seats vaulted ceilings, blue satin curtains and even a balcony with a couple rows of seating.  It was a surprisingly cute venue. After I was ushered to the costume room and sewn into a skirt that was incredibly too big, I went backstage and waited for my turn to be up. I was number 22 in the program. Other dances and acts were practiced numerous times because ("the conductor" as she was called) was not pleased with the timing. While waiting, at some point I made the mistake of sitting next to the Koica volunteer. When this was discovered I was made to pose for several, I'm talking about 20 pictures with the volunteer, and pretty much every female Mongolian teacher that works at my school...one by one. At one point, my mouth got so tired I could barely fake a smile, and I am quite sure it came out like I was growling and mashing my teeth together.
When I got done, and had practiced my performance (once), I was happy as a clam to go home, knowing the next day would be incredibly long. 
Opening ceremony was at 9:30ish. I was told to be there at 9 but in true Mongolian fashion, I made it a point to show up at least 30 minutes late. Children drummed, some danced, even a military type school performed a brass band song. As I was standing there watching the festivities, I was approached by a familiar face. In the chaos of it all was a Peace Corps trainer. She had gone to my school for four years in her youth, and had traveled from UB with a few of her former classmates. It was a nice surprise.  At about 1pm I was told to go to the theater. I was told the show would start around 1 and had indicated this time to the other aimag PCV's. At around 1:30, after practicing for a finale and placed center stage among the children, I was told we had a break and we would start around 3. When we finally did start it was around 4, and even then the show was not the first activity on the agenda. First off, a thorough history of school one and Tsetserleg. Phase two included giving away of various medals to people for a vast majority of things which I honestly did not understand...at all. FINALLY, around 6 it was time for the show to start. Around the start of the show I was approached by a women who I think is a conductor herself, just not as important as the conductor from UB apparently. She said something about my hair, and indicated that I should follow her. From her bag she pulled out this fake, black long hair, placed it on my head and stuck my hat back on. For the remainder of the night, I was told I looked Goi Goi (sounds like goya goya means good).  By 7:30, it was finally my turn to go on. After the performances commenced, I was told to keep my costume on for pictures. There were photographers everywhere!  Of course, the pictures were for sale later in the evening. I was only able to find two of them, which was bizarre because I must have taken a million! After the performance I was told by practically everyone that it was time for the party at the school. I have never seen so much alcohol at a school event. There was Airag (fermented mares milk; which I subsequently found out later  filled an entire bathtub vat in one of the school rooms), vodka, an assortment of wines and beer. There was also a feast with as much meat as you could stomach, sweets of course, and a satisfying assortment of fruits and veggies. The most delicious snack of them all however, was the champagne juice mix with fruit! It was simply marvelous! When 11 hit, I decided it was time to leave. Exhausted from the events of the day, I enjoyed being driven to my doorstep by one of the teachers and fell asleep quickly after my fire was in full force! 

No comments:

Post a Comment