Tuesday, November 5, 2013

EnGliSh CluB!???

On Tuesday, I had my first club. English Club! I feel like teaching English at all, is every CYDers WORST Nightmare. We would rather do ANYTHING other than that! For me agreeing to run this club seemed to appease my HCA so I decided to plaster on a smile and have at it! My English Club consists of 8th-9th graders and 10th-11th graders. Both classes lasted an hour and a half and both classes had approximately 18 kids who attended. We started with the general reminders. Since cell phones tend to be regularly utilized while classes are in session, I made sure to inform them that I would take cell phones away during the club if they were texting and playing on them. Surprisingly, only one of the students had to get their cell phone back at the end of the club. I also made sure to inform them that this is in fact an English club therefore it would be vital for their success to be involved in the conversations, and pen and paper would not be necessary. It was interesting to see the students critical thinking skills at work. We played a game where the students had to tell a story one by one, in the middle of a circle with gestures that the rest of the group could copy. It was interesting to see how little off the beaten path the children went with their stories. I started this activity, and pretty much everyone's story ended up back at the same Ger I had introduced to the storyline at the beginning of the activity! It will be very interesting to find out how the students progress in this activity. While I feared that my activities would not last long enough for the hour and a half club, it was perfect. At the end we wrapped up with a "how did you think this went" activity and everyone had pretty positive feedback. I quite enjoyed my time with this group of kiddos, and can't wait for the next English Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment