Wednesday, November 13, 2013

DorM LifE and a BuSy SChEdUlE!

 My school has the only dorm (except for the university), in my Aimag. I had made plans two weeks ago to go in on Wednesdays and do activities with the kiddos. From what I saw the kids ranged about 5th grade to 11th, but I can't be sure (some kids may have been sleeping). At 7, I showed up and after pantomiming and utilizing what little Mongolian language I have, I got my point across about what I wanted to do. In typical Mongolian fashion, my counterpart showed up about 15 minutes late, but I was just excited that he showed up at all! There were about 30 kids who participated in the activities and I stayed for a little over an hour and a half. We played a game that I made (there were two teams and they had to pick the corresponding picture for the English word I said, whoever picked the right card first kept the card and points were tallied at the end of the activity for each team). I also taught them "Go Fish" with two decks of cards so many children could play, and brought my chess boards for them to play with as well. It was a quick hour and a half but it was also a LOT of fun and I really liked it! It was great to get to know so many kids in their living environments and I cannot wait to go back next week! Things are really starting to chug along here as I have recently created weekly schedule and made my counterpart aware of what projects  I really want to get up and running in the time that I am here. I am able to run two life-skills classes per week, I have two English clubs, 2 dance clubs, I visit the dorms once a week and hopefully, I can spend about an hour a week teaching 6 and 7 year old's English songs! Beyond that I am getting an Anti-Bullying campaign together for next week and would LOVE to get a debate club up and running in the school.  I enjoy how busy I am these days and look forward to seeing how all of my activities will progress! 

Off topic. I finally got my winter stove, my Ger has been fully winterized (my door was fixed) AND I got a couch last night. It's the little things that really make your day! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment