Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Making educated transportation choices through trial and error.


Your destination: UB also known as Ulaanbaatar and MECCA. Shopping, spices, exotic foods (Italian, Spanish, Mexican, American) and peanut butter. 





They way is long...but it is worth every second whether it be crammed in a Meeker, bouncing up and down in a under-equipped car or traveling via the ever reliable bus.
Trial and error is half the fun if you don't mind wasting the day away, for the road is long; the journey exhausting and filled with the same 3 Mongolian songs....good luck!




Meeker  (full disclosure this does not just come in yellow)            r

 I decided a 7pm Meeker home from UB, it would be the way to go because I didn't have to get up early or really rush to the station at all. Plus, i've known people to take them and they have had rave reviews so I decided I would give it a shot.  Here's how it went.

After taking a cab to the Dragon Center I was initially worried about finding the appropriate Meeker to go to my aimag at 7 at night.  I found that it really was not that difficult and in five minutes had found where I needed to be.  As long as you are able to shout out your aimag name, even in the hustle and bustle of the Dragon Center people will stop and help you.

That being said always remember to watch your stuff at the Dragon Center..if you look too lost and like a tourist you are more likely to become a target for pick-pocketing.

Next, after discussing prices, I found a seat in the Meeker. I thought it was a great seat but I quickly recanted that way of thinking. I chose a back seat. It looked great. One person; awesome. Next came the wait. In about 20 minutes people started packing in the meeker. I was in a seat meant for three people with three guys. The wheel was by my legs so I was unable to move them freely or comfortably and because I am small people just generally think I can fit into a space that an 11 year old could fit into.

It got worse.

While I was being crammed in the backseat of a van like a sardine it became clear before we even left the Dragon Center that the seat in front of me was broken. Thus, I was holding up the seat with my knees, and with some help from the guy beside me. Although I was by the window, I felt more claustrophobic than in any other situation I have been in.  All in all, 19 people were crammed into the meeker meant for 15 at the most.

Another situation that became of concern barely an hour out of the city was the amount of weight on the tires. You have a meeker with 19 people and luggage stuffed not just inside of the meeker, but on top as well. A tire popped. Now the roads in Mongolia are not great. TIM (this is Mongolia). Usually I can take the roads regardless of how bumpy they are because the bus always manages to get me there but this-was-painful.

After fixing the initial tire, we had three or four more instances where we had to stop because another tire had burst or something had happened under the meeker (Yes I heard hammering on metal under the meeker).

When we finally arrived to our destination, me drifting in and out of fitful sleep from exhaustion and an inability to get comfortable, it was 7am. Regardless of how the trip went me being dropped off in front of my Khasha was the silver lining.

 A joyful car-ride
I went to UB for the weekend and my friends from school had indicated that they would also be going up so I could ride with them for 20,000 tugs (about 12 bucks) versus 23,000 tugs and a cab ride (about 35,000 tugs or 17 dollars). In Peace Corps every penny counts and that amount of money can be the difference between going out for one meal or cooking, yet again at home.
The car ride was interesting. I was picked up about 8am and by 9:30 we had started out of Tsetserleg. The time in between was spent picking people and packages. We fit 5 people in the car but it was comfortable so I didn't mind. All in all, I thought it was a very Mongolian start.

When we got on the road...it was slow slow slow. About an hour in we went to where Davaa's wife Chancer had grown up. I don't remember the name but it was picturesque. The town was at the bottom of the mountain and it was about 20 minutes off the road on a dirt road.



Her house was around the hill and you couldn't even see the town where we were. It was gorgeous. They had baby goats next to their Ger so I of course got to go see (and try to pet them). They had some horses and sheep but they were out grazing in the fields. I enjoyed some tarek (yogurt) and watched them put more tarek in containers that would be sold in UB.






When we left Chancer's house we had two children, numerous containers of talek and a much much heavier car that went even slower than before. Next stop was the old government center in Tsagaan Suvraga that was a bunch of shrines inclosed by a huge white wall. People were also outside selling their goods. I couldn't shop because again, I am Peace Corps and I am a special kind of poor. During this stop I also realized it was only about an hour and a half away from Tsetserleg; and I had been on the road for 3 and a half hours. Not and ideal turn of events but what could ya do? Mongolian's are very family oriented and that's just how it is!








About an hour later we made a stop to drop off some of the tarek and get a tire fixed. Another 30 minutes was added to the trip during this stop.

And, another hour and a half later we arrived at the halfway point where it was time for food and a quick break! Knowing I would be encouraged to eat I got some rice and egg. Mongolians tend to eat Huge portions so they were very concerned that I had not eaten enough. I assured them I was tatson (full; which is an extremely important word to know in Mongolian)

We got on the road and about 4 and a half hours later we arrived in UB. There was a conversation about where I was going and, a car met us in the Ger district. I was told that Davaa and Chancer could in fact not go into the city because they did not have the appropriate license plates and I was then transferred into their friends car and they took me to my final destination. All in all it was a little over a thirteen hour drive. It was exhausting and I was done by the time I arrived at my final destination.

 Bus rides
8am or 2pm: get into  a bus
 11:30-12:00 or 6:30-7pm=stop at the halfway point
4:30-5pm or 9:45-10:15= arrive at the dragon center

Hail a cab and in 20 minutes your in an apartment/hostel or hotel.
Time:8and a half hours to 9 and a half hours

My conclusion:
While other people have had great 7-9 hour 6 people meeker rides, I am not lucky enough to chance it. From now on, I take the bus! It's better on time, and I know what to expect. When that starts breaking down, I shall be sure to re-access!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment