Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A ReFleCtIoN oN GeR LiFe InjUrIEs (GrueSoMe PicTuReS InCluDeD...ThoSE WiTh WeaK StoMaChS ShoUlD WanDeR No FurThEr))


As I look back on my past year I realize I have had more injuries than the normal person. We all remember my trip to Thailand to fix my crooked pinky that I injured during my CYD (Community and youth development) Training at camp last July. Well it was an amazing and unexpected trip, but my finger remains permanently crooked (I have to say, it was worth the free trip though)! Since then, I have had numerous injuries stemming from Ger life.

For Instance: This burn, coming from my stove pipe!
.



And then there has been pointer finger injuries I have sustained while cutting kindling. This is what it looked like the first time...



And This is what it looked like the second time.While both times look painful, surprisingly, only the second time actually hurt. 




About a week prior to the second finger injury I impaled myself with wood while cutting kindling. I had an infected wrist from the incident as you can see from the swelling and redness. While the swelling and redness have gone down, the wood remains, in my wrist because it is in a place that is hard to get and possibly attached to; most definitely surrounded by arteries.  Since it doesn't hurt for the time being, in my wrist it will stay until the end of my service, unless it works it's way out of my skin. It's an interesting memoir of my service since i can move it around in my wrist. Of course, it is also slightly disgusting to have some random foreign body in your arm. .


While growing fingers back is actually easy (it's like when a chameleon grows back it's tail) it's still incredibly painful. I have to admit though, living Ger life has made me tough. With each new injury I give myself a pat on the back from sticking to my guns and staying in my Ger. It's become home to me and moving is just out of the question.  I also notice that I am not the only person to cut my finger; MONGOLIAN'S DO IT TOO; and they've been chopping away for years. You just wrap the injury to keep it from bleeding everywhere and becoming infected and "keep on swimming" so to speak. Things happen, injuries occur, there is a revolving door of people coming and going from your life, but the strong survive, they excel and they find a light at the end of every tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment