Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A YeAr In the LiFe OF JeNn

Everyone that has a blog has participated in the yearly updated. My nostalgic synapses is coming a bit late, as I have always been a chronic procrastinator; especially with things I do not have a timeline on. Thus, I'm perpetually late with posts and events, which is not very different from the Mongolian people.
So here I am. A year later, a year older and still enjoying my time in Mongolia. Pondering this year, I feel that I have grown and become accustomed to the Mongolian life and more importantly Ger life. I may cut a finger here and there (yeah that's not a joke) but I have a Khasha family who cares for me and close friends that I share similar experiences with. 45 people started training with me just over a year ago. One person left quite early on in training process and I remember feeling badly that the experience wouldn't be shared with them. SO that makes 44. 44 people and I sat in an initial meeting in Washington not knowing what was in store for us and not at all able to comprehend what we would go through, emotionally and physically over the next two years. I remember waiting to see what my host family would be like, all of us in our respective groups and wondering how we would be received. I remember getting to the middle of nowhere and seeing a school, watching my 11 training site mates leave one by one until there was only me left as my khasha dad was a tad late. Then I remember the trip home, asking what dog was in passing and thinking Pec was going to turn around and go back when all i wanted to do was rest. Then I remember being completely alone, in my host families Khasha and having no idea what to do or where my friends were. The first meal I helped with. It was Gittus (stomach) that i helped stuff fill with blood.
That was the first week of my new life. Flash forward to the end of PST (post service training). I found I no longer had a boyfriend and we were also down to 41 PCV's. Some had left during training not feeling like this was for them. I felt excited. I was ready to cook my own meals, live in my own Ger and meet my Khasha family. Much like a child I was ready to leave the nest and experience work in the real world (the Mongolian world). Before swearing in we met our counterparts. Mine was a lovely lady that I would get to know well. Dashka with a warm smile, and a beautiful family; just look at this little one! Daskha smiled constantly and I was excited to see what my new surroundings would be like. Then it was the day we would find out where we were going. I remember going to the children's art and waiting for my name to be called. As PCV's were called, we dispersed on the HUGE map that covers the park. Finally my name was called. I was irrationally excited even though I had no idea where Arkhangai was. When we were all able to walk around everyone  kept telling me that Arkhangai was gorgeous and Tsetserleg was the most beautiful aimag center in Mongolia so I was ready to go!

Next I remember getting to site with my new site mates, watching my dad hook up the electricity in my Ger and unpack.
It wasn't long before the PCMO's (Peace Corps Medica Unit) called me and told me I would need to come in for my finger. A week in UB and I was told I would be going to Thailand for surgery. While in UB I met an amazing English Man while crossing the street and two weeks later when I came in to fly out, we had our first date in the Blue Sky building.

Bankok, Thailand was amazing. The food, the shopping, the entertainment at the cabaret bar, the drinks and the tourist attractions made me feel like I was on a mini vacation instead of in for surgery. The fact that I didn't have surgery and just went in for PT every other day was icing on the cake.  

When I got back to site it was work work work. I have realized that some projects are implemented quickly and stay implemented while others come and go. Injuries happen probably more often  than they should but it is all relative to the experience. Christmas was the hardest time I have had in Mongolia but thankfully, I had site mates that made me come and hang out with them. I've lost two incredibly amazing people (my Aunt and and Uncle) while I have been overseas but you realize that life goes on at home and well, here, in Mongolia. There are day's, like today where I am busy for a few hours and can then update my blog and then other days when I am so busy that eating is barely an option. I have learned to use very little resources for what I need and create opportunities for children to run with ideas and I am having a blast.

Last weekend as I saw some of the the current PCV's and I felt in aww. We now have a meager number 39 (1 is COS'ing [conclusion of service]) which pales in comparison to the 95 PCV's that came in. It was quite a feeling watching the newbies take their first step into Mongolia and I couldn't help but feel genuinly excited for them. This is such an amazing and unique opportunity and not everyone in the world can experience what PCV's do in their everyday lives. I hope that this first year flies for them like it did for me.  

Looking back on the last year I don't regret a thing. I am happy to be here, in Mongolia being forever lost in translation, as well as creating a better life for the youth I come in contact with.





No comments:

Post a Comment