Tuesday, February 11, 2014

ThE IcE FeStiVaL!

 
Doggie (my Khasha Sister) "Will you be going to the river with your school on Saturday?"
In my mind: are you crazy? It's -15 out!...what I really ask is for how long...her response is from 10-6pm...which elicited this reactions from me: "No, it's cold out...Don't you get COLD? And this reaction: "When it's winter I hibernate...like a bear".
Going back to my Ger I couldn't help wonder why my school would be going to the river to "hang out". Since Marc was coming as well, I absolutely did not want to commit myself to something like that. When Friday came, I called Brittany to chat and told her about the night before. She informed me that Saturday was the ice festival. That made a lot more sense and I was of course stoked to participate and had been looking forward to it! On saturday we slowly made our way out the door and took a taxi to the river. There were numerous ice sculptures to look at, and hockey, curling, a rope pull, bebe gun shooting and various other activities were going on. I participated in the rope pull, and curling. The American (and one un-named Brit) had their own team. We won our first rope pull and lost our last one. Soon after, we discovered that we had in fact cheated because Brittany's counterpart jumped in to help! Who knows how we would have done without him! While each time I threw the disk (I was even allowed an fourth try) I fell on my bum, I somehow managed on my third try to win three points. I don't know what place my school came in for the event but I was grateful I was allowed to participate and happy that I ended up going. Sometime around 5 the ice started melting rather quickly, and we all decided it was time to leave. The fog coming off the ice reminded Brittany and I of that horrible movie "the fog". If you don't know: check this out
While people started moving there cars I noticed that there was in a fact car that was quickly being engulfed by the melting ice and wonder if it made it out!

After we left, two of my school teachers invited me to come to their house after the festivities. We had (you guessed it) Buuz and vodka. I attempted to make a cocktail with the watered down juice and vodka but it was not even half as great as the magical mixtures I made behind the bar when I was bartending. The day ended around 6pm for me with a hot fire, coffee and game night. It was a fantastic day, and I am so glad that I didn't miss it because of a "lost in translation" moment!







No comments:

Post a Comment