Monday, July 1, 2013

June 9, THE TUMPIN!!!

Today I was told that I could sleep all day. I don’t know if it was just because I was here or what, but at 9 a.m everyone was up and about. After a breakfast of about three kinds of talhlk (bread) I decided to take a shower. I am beyond pleased that I have running HOT water for a shower. But I also have to be cognizant of how much water I use because when It runs out of the electric water heater that it would take 20 minutes to warm more water up. Knowing this, I used my tumpin for the first time so I could shave my legs. A tumpin is a round plastic bin that you sit in to wash. It is barely big enough for me to sit in so I can only imagine how hard it was for some of the 6 foot volunteers to bathe!
After learning head, shoulders, knees and toes from Dana in Mongolian we left for the school. It is about a mile away uphill. The view walking up the steep his is just amazing. I am actually glad that I was placed downhill instead of on the plateau where most of my volunteer friends were placed. After shots we walked around Shaamar (near the school) and saw the other homes that people were living in, and then I headed home since it looked as if it would rain. Homemade pasta soup with Yamaa (Goat) intestines was for dinner, and was actually delicious! Dana tells me she will teach me how to make homemade pasta; I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment