Monday, July 1, 2013

6/16/13 Oh YANNA! (OH MY)

This weekend went by quickly. Friday I met up with other volunteers and we played the games we learned in class and well just vegged out. I adore my family but it is nice to just hang out once in a while with my friends.
Saturday, I helped make Ho-sure. They are pastry’s filled with a potato, jeweltay (shallot like onions), and peppers. You fry them up in oil. They are super tasty. When my family cooks, it is as if they cook all day long! They got the jeweltay from their garden, and I assume the peppers and potatoes came from the garden as well. After I had finished cooking,Cal, one of the volunteers came down the mountain and we went on a hike. It is very hilly behind my house and there are some awesome views.  Cal and some of the other volunteers live up the hill on a plateau so the view is non-existent up there, but there are a lot of beautiful trees.  After the hike we went to Shanes house and met up with Angela and Jake, and from Shane’s we all went to the river. Mongolia’s geography is so beautiful and different from place to place. The river is set in a very open pasture. Behind the river there are mountains in the distance. As far as your eyes can see it’s mountains, green grass, blue sky’s and herds of animals. It was a great ending to a wonderfully relaxing day.
Sunday I woke up and decided to do my laundry, the old fashioned way. An hour later, my knees were sore, my back ached, but my clothes were clean and hanging. All of the volunteers had cleared going to the river with our language teachers, so around 1 I left with my nephew Gontolic, after being heavily warned that the river has a dangerous undercurrent and to be super careful.  It was a very beautiful day, Blue sky’s, puffy white clouds, and hot hot hot! The river itself isn’t very clean. If you step into the water it is really muddy, and I saw cows drinking out of the water, and probably pooping in it as well.  The water was really cold too, so I didn’t go all the way in.  While my friends and I were sitting chatting, we saw a herd (at least 20 strong) of what I presume to be wild horses come running into the field. It was an amazing sight to see; I predict for as long as I live here I will never be able to ignore a sight like that one.  Although this weekend was fantastic, I look forward to going back to classes tomorrow. It fills my time and I enjoy learning the language. I feel like I don’t know enough, but I have only been in Mongolia for two weeks and I have only been in language classes for a week. I know it takes time but it gets a little frustrating not being able to communicate with people who only speak Mongolian.  

No comments:

Post a Comment