Friday, September 26, 2014

FoReVer BroKen

As MST came to a close and health checks ensued, I mentioned a problem I have been having with my knees to the PCMO (Peace Corps Doctor). She immediately set me up with a rehab clinic in UB, who sent me for an MRI scan. While I am notorious for hurting myself in awkward ways; the finger incident last year, the slicing of my finger, the second degree burn on my ankle from a demon steamer and more recently the wood that is floating around my wrist; nothing could prepare me for what they would say. I got a call asking me to come in because after a week of physical therapy they finally received the results. As i sat there in the office, my PCMO rattled off some strange foreign name for what was happening in both my knees I was stunned. The name of this strange syndrome was Infrapatellar fat pad syndrome: or Hoffa's syndrome. This syndrome is just what it sounds like. I have fat in between my joints that rubs and causes swelling, bruising and pain.  Apparently it happens in athletes. Since I had been dancing off and on and my knee was fine up until I came to Mongolia I can assume it was not just that. As I went back to rehab with this diagnoses, they told me the bending I have been doing in my Ger is probably the problem. So...after two weeks of rehab, a couple days of rest and steroid shots to me knees I was allowed to go back to site with promises of an apartment in the near future, (as soon as they can find one). I am currently staying at my site mates apartment while she is away in Greece so right now it is not a dire situation. I am hopeful if I continue to work hard on my stretches that this too will pass and no more strange syndromes or injuries will be in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment